Saturday Sep 30, 2023

How to choose the right immigration lawyer for a spouse visa?


UK immigration law firm Finding a reliable UK Immigration Lawyer is often an onerous task, especially if it involves your family.  Multiple law firms are functioning in the UK specializing in different sectors of UK immigration. However, if you want to bring your non-British partner to the UK, you need to find an immigration law firm that specializes in UK Spouse visas.


Here are some of our best tips for finding the best immigration lawyer while applying for a UK Spouse visa. You should take the time to find an immigration lawyer who will work “with” and “for” you.


If you follow these tips, you should be able to avoid making mistakes that will cost you money and time.

Do your research

The Home Office website has a list of legitimate immigration firms that you can get in touch with for Spouse visa-related assistance.  You should make sure that your lawyer is regulated by the OISC or the SRA. There are three levels of OISC certification, which is something to keep in mind. You should also find out what part of UK immigration law your law firm focuses on. Follow your lawyer on social media, read his or her blog, and ask if they have dealt with cases like yours before.

Ask for a referral

People you know, people you work with, and online reviews are all good places to look for recommendations. Most of the time, you can find people who have used the same service and can give you feedback on it. If you know anyone who moved to the UK with their partner, you can ask them how they liked working with the law firm. You can also look at client reviews, Google reviews, or Trust pilot reviews to learn more about the company.

Get multiple opinions

Before deciding on a UK immigration law firm, talk to a few of the lawyers on your list to see if they meet your needs and have experience with your type of case. Try to find out how the companies work and if you’re comfortable with them. A good lawyer should be able to put you at ease without letting go of their professionalism.


Check the expenses

The way different companies work will be different. Before you hire a lawyer, we would suggest that you agree to a fixed fee. If you hire an attorney who charges by the hour, you won’t know how much it will cost until the case is over.UK immigration law firm  You should know that these fees are on top of the fees you’ll have to pay to the Home Office to change your Spouse visa.

Don’t fall for false promises

Immigration law is complicated, and each client’s unique situation can affect their application for a Spouse visa. Firms that make promises or guarantees about how applications will turn out should be avoided. Good lawyers should give you advice that is clear and honest, so you know where you stand.

Have a consultation

Once you’ve chosen a firm, you should meet with them. Because everyone’s situation is different, it will be hard for any lawyer to advise without looking at your papers or learning about your past. During a consultation, your lawyer will be able to look at your case in detail and give you specific advice. It will also let you know if you can trust the lawyer and feel good about working with him or her.

Organise your documents

One of the most important parts of getting a Spouse visa is having the right paperwork. UK immigration law firm Get your paperwork in order as soon as possible. If you do this, you’ll have more time to find the best lawyer for you.


Officials from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will want to see the following documents with your application (this is not a full list):

  • Your current passport or other documents needed to travel
  • Your certificate of marriage or civil union
  • Divorce certificate, if you have been married before.
  • Information on any criminal convictions, if any
  • The number for your National Insurance (if you have one)
  • Information about where you will stay in the UK
  • Bank statements
  • if applicable, proof of income from work
  • The British passport or Indefinite Leave to Remain document of your sponsor.
  • Information about any children travelling with you to the UK


What Do You Need to Get a UK Spouse or Partner Visa?


For a partner or spouse to get a family visa, they must meet the following requirements:

  1. Both you and your partner need to be at least 18 years old.
  2. Your partner must either:
  • Be from Britain
  • Have settled in the UK, like if they have ILR, settled status, or proof of permanent residence.
  • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status. They must have moved to the UK before January 1, 2021.
  • Have a Turkish Worker visa or a Turkish Businessperson visa
  • Have refugee status or need help from the UK government
  1. You are in a civil partnership or marriage that is recognised in the UK. You have been living together for at least two years when you apply. You are a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter a civil partnership in the UK within six months of arriving.
  2. If you are a fiancé(e) or a proposed civil partner, you must want to come to the UK so that you can get married or start a civil partnership
  3. Your relationship with your sponsor must be real and still going on.
  4. You plan to live with your sponsor in the UK for good and don’t need help from the government for housing.
  5. Your sponsor has enough money to meet the requirement. This usually means having a yearly income of at least £18,600 (this goes up if you have children) and/or enough savings.
  6. You can speak and write in English.


The initial entry clearance visa is good for 33 months (30 months if the application is made from inside the UK; if you apply as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, you will be given a 6-month visa to allow you to enter the UK so that your marriage or civil partnership can happen here), after which you can apply for a Spouse Visa Extension of 30 months. You might be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after five years.


It can be hard and stressful to apply for a visa. If you plan well and find a good lawyer to represent you, you should be able to rest easy knowing that your application is well-done. Contact A Y & J Solicitors if you need any help with your UK Spouse visa application



Back to Top